Household Hazardous Waste Collection
DSWA operates Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events at different locations throughout the year. Delaware residents can bring their HHW to the event free of charge. Click here to download a printable PDF of our schedule and acceptable materials list or click on our HHW logo at right.
DSWA cannot accept prescription medication during its Household Hazardous Waste events. For information on proper disposal of medications visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website by clicking here. For an extensive list of items accepted during this event see below.
Questions? Call our CITIZENS' RESPONSE LINE at 1-800-404-7080.
Household Hazardous Waste FAQs »
DSWA will also accept Electronic Goods for recycling at all Household Hazardous Waste Events. For a list of accepted electronic goods, please see the Electronic Goods Recycling page. For more information,
please call the DSWA's Citizens' Response Line at 1-800-404-7080.
You Can Bring the Following Items to a Collection Event:
Product containers marked with words,
"Warning: Hazardous," "Flammable," "Poisonous," "Corrosive" or "Explosive." See below for listing.
- Full aerosol cans, bleach, chemistry kits, nail polish, polish removers, perfumes,
disinfectants, drain cleaners, floor wax, mercury thermometers, moth balls, oven cleaner, spot remover, toilet cleaner, fluorescent light bulbs
- Ammunition, firecrackers, gunpowder
- Corrosives, paints (NO LATEX PAINT), small compressed-gas cylinders, solvents,
stains, strippers, thinners, varnish, wood preservatives, fluorescent bulbs
- Fungicides, herbicides, pesticides, pool chemicals
- Antifreeze, auto batteries, degreasers, waste fuels - gasoline, kerosene, used motor
oil mixed with other fuels
- Bring materials in original, sealed containers.
- Do not mix products in one container.
- To prevent leakage or breakage, pack separately in absorbent material or triple bag.
- Bring rags to clean up any spills, and dispose of rags at the collection site.
What's Not Accepted:
FRIABLE ASBESTOS - Dispose by appointment only at Cherry Island
Landfill for a fee. Call 302-764-5385 for details.
NON-FRIABLE ASBESTOS - Accepted by appointment at all DSWA landfills for a fee.
UNKNOWN SUBSTANCES - Unknown items that are greater than 1 gallon or
LATEX PAINT- Water-soluble is not hazardous. Can be taken to a landfill. Please solidify with
kitty litter or sand. Also check with your garbage hauler to see if they will accept in solid
CONTAINERS WITH LESS THAN 1" OF MATERIAL - These can go in your regular trash.
USED MOTOR OIL - Oil which has not been mixed with other fuels is accepted at specific DSWA Recycling Drop-off Centers.
PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS - Can be thrown out in your regular trash in the following procedure:
- Take unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers;
- Mix the prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, like used coffee grounds or kitty litter and place them in impermeable, non-descript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, further ensuring that the drugs are not diverted or accidentally ingested by children or pets;
- Throw these containers in the trash; and
- Flush prescription drugs down the toilet ONLY if the accompanying patient information specifically instructs it is safe to do so.
For further information or questions regarding proper disposal of prescription drugs visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website by clicking here. The U.S. Department of Justice and Drug Enforcement Administration will receive unused or expired medication for safe disposal at their annual National Prescription Drug Take Back Day. Please click on this link for further information.
Where Can I take it?
Dispose of your hazardous substances safely and properly at these
DSWA HHW Collection Events.
For more information or to see if a material is
HHW, please call our Citizens’ Response Line